Ontario: A World Leader in Clean Technologies
The clean technology sector includes companies that are developing ways to use existing resources more effectively as well as those who are creating new, more sustainable, sources of energy and materials. The sector includes wind, solar, water and biomass and Ontario’s Smart Grid strategy.
Our ministry has the expertise innovation and leadership to help your business profit from this emerging industry.
Connect with Us
Ontario: A Leader in Clean Technology
Ontario is taking a global leadership role in smart grid technologies through its initiatives such as the Green Energy Act, making significant investment in deploying smart meters, fostering a cluster of companies working on smart grid solutions and developing IP at universities and Centres of Excellence.
Ontario's Green Energy Act
We understand businesses need to know the details of Ontario’s Green Energy Act to tap into the strong incentives for investment in renewable energy projects and that supports the growth of clean technologies and renewable energy sources.
.. reached commercial operation in Ontario. This represents more than
...$5 billion of investment and over 7,000 direct and indirect temporary
.. and permanent jobs.
.. bio-energy is 10,700 MW by 2018 (excluding hydroelectric) –
.. accommodated through transmission expansion and maximizing the
.. use of the existing system.
To date, 20,000 jobs have been created through Ontario’s Green Energy Act.
Access the Ministry of Energy’s Renewable Energy Facilitation Office, a one-window access point to assist renewable energy project proponents (developers, communities and municipalities) providing information to help bring their projects to life.
A Bright Green Future – Cleantech Asset MAP
An analysis of the convergence of technology,
policy and capital in Ontario (PDF, 2MB)
Funding & Support
Resources for Clean Technology Business in Ontario
- Regulatory Information For the latest regulatory information and similar updates.
- Funding Programs There is a vast array of funding available.
Starting a clean technology business? We can help.
- Starting a Business – learn how to plan the launch of your new business
- Small Business Entreprise Centres - for local and regional hands on expert advice and tools
- Business Advisory Services Access 12 offices throughout Ontario for market development support, financial analysis, access to financial assistance and support for innovation and new technology.
- My Biz Account – Ontario’s single window access for registering your business and accessing programs and services for business
Looking for help exporting your clean technologies from Ontario? We can help.
- Ontario Exports for help for new exporters or breaking into more markets around the globe.
- Canada-Ontario Business Service Centre for exporting and market information
Partners & Research
Ontario is home to international water research centres with scientists across the province working on solutions to our water challenges at more than 21 university, college and publicly funded research institutes. Find out more here.
There are several associations that can help you understand how your business can benefit from clean technology. Find out more here.
There are a number of trade missions and other programs planned for North America and International markets. Find out more here.