Summary of New and Proposed Changes to Regulations Related to Residential Licensing under the Child, Youth and Family Services Act, 2017
Bill or Act:
Child, Youth and Family Services Act, 2017
Summary of Proposal:
This work supports the ministry's implementation of Safe and Caring Places for Children and Youth: Ontario's Blueprint for Building a New System of Licensed Residential Services, which was released in July 2017. The Blueprint is a multi-year plan to build a new child-and youth-centered residential service system in Ontario. Working collaboratively across child- and youth-serving sectors, the ministry is making fundamental changes so services are more responsive to the unique needs of children and youth in residential settings, to improve the quality of their everyday experience and to better support their health, safety, and well-being.
All current regulatory requirements respecting residential licensing are being reviewed with the goal of harmonizing requirements between children's residences and foster care where appropriate, and enhancing current requirements, including with respect to quality of care.
Changes being proposed at this time include those aligned with the commitments that are part of the Blueprint for reform, including enhancements related to access to quality food and others related to the safety and wellbeing of children and youth.
In addition, new requirements are being proposed in the following key areas:
• Prohibition on obtaining a licence if convicted of specified offences for which no pardon has been granted
• New requirements for all licensees to develop a fire safety plan for each premise that operates under a licence
• Harmonizing requirements for an initial assessment of the needs of the child before the child is accepted to a residential placement
• New requirement that the children's residence and foster home must be kept safe and clean and in a good state of repair
• Specifying that access to food is never to be restricted as a punitive measure
• Identifying the areas in which the Minister may issue directives to licensees
December 11, 2017
Comments Due Date:
January 26, 2018
Ministry of Children and Youth Services
56 Wellesley St West, 15th Floor
Toronto, ON M5S 2S3