Proposed amendments to regulations under the Highway Traffic Act related to mobile cranes and concrete pumps.
O. Reg. 555/06: HOURS OF SERVICE
R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 611: SAFETY INSPECTIONS
Bill or Act:
Highway Traffic Act
Summary of Proposal:
While MTO continues to work with industry stakeholders toward long-term requirements, MTO is proposing to:
• Extend the current exemption in place for mobile cranes and concrete pumps from the requirement to display a yellow inspection sticker as required by Highway Traffic Act Section 85, for an additional 24 months ending June 30, 2020.
• Extend the current hours of service exemption in place for a large crane (i.e. exemption from provincial HOS requirements) to the crane's support vehicles, provided the support vehicles are driven by a large crane operator or an apprentice registered under the Ontario College of Trades and Apprenticeship Act in the trade of Hoisting Engineer-Mobile Crane Operator 1.
Support vehicle refers to the vehicle (e.g. tractor-trailer) accompanying the large crane and used to transport parts dismantled from the large crane.
• Extend the eligibility criteria for the hours of service exemption certificate outlined in Section 3.2 of Ontario Regulation 555/06 to:
1. A vehicle built after January 1, 2017 that is a type of vehicle that would have been classed as a road-building machine prior to the definition change; and
2. A support vehicle used to transport dismantled parts from a mobile crane (other than a large crane referenced above) driven by an operator or apprentice registered under the Ontario College of Trades and Apprenticeship Act.
Analysis of Regulatory Impact:
January 31, 2018
Comments Due Date:
February 20, 2018
Carrier Safety Policy Office
Carrier Safety and Enforcement Branch
3rd Fl-301 St. Paul St
St Catharines ON L2R 7R4