Ontario Regulation 612- School Buses
Ontario Regulation 612
Regulation - LGIC
Bill or Act:
Highway Traffic Act
Summary of Decision:
March 5, 2008
Summary of Proposal:
The ministry is proposing to amend Highway Traffic Act, Regulation 612, School Buses (O. Reg. 612) to adopt CSA D250-07 as the standard for new school buses operating in Ontario. Adoption of the revised standard will ensure new school buses operating in Ontario are equipped with the latest safety features.
Historically, Ontario and most other provinces have adopted the CSA D250 Standard for school buses. This standard is amended every few years and the changes typically affect school bus operators, school bus manufacturers, and passengers who ride in these vehicles.
Some of the features in the new standard:
- Improved access to the rear emergency door.
- System to prevent the operation of the bus when the emergency door is locked.
- New roof hatch performance standard that specifies minimum strength required to open the hatch, which is intended to minimize the possibility of a passenger ejection during a collision in which the vehicle rolls over.
- New exit lamp above service door to improve visibility of pedestrians in the danger zone on the right side of the bus during stops.
- New requirements for floor covering that specify a minimum level of traction to reduce the risk of passengers slipping and/or falling.
- New specifications for roof-mounted strobe lamps in buses that are equipped with this type of lamp.
The CSA committee that develops and amends the standard consists of school bus operators, end users, manufacturers and technical experts from a variety of jurisdictions.
These changes will impact only new school buses, and there will be no requirement for bus operators to retrofit their vehicles to this standard. Manufacturers have indicated that the additional costs related to the new standard are approximately $1,000 for each new bus.
Carrier Safety Policy Office
Carrier Safety and Enforcement Branch
3rd Floor, 301 St. Paul Street
St. Catharines, ON L2R 7R4
January 3, 2009