Continuous Professional Learning Regulation
Regulation - LGIC
Bill or Act:
Early Childhood Educators Act, 2007
Summary of Proposal:
Under the authority of the Early Childhood Education Act, 2007, the College of Early Childhood Educators is proposing to make a continuous professional learning regulation for its members.
The objectives of the continuous professional learning program are:
- To support member capacity to integrate the Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice into their practice.
- To facilitate and support continuous professional learning in a regulatory environment.
- To facilitate innovative and cross-collaborative professional goals.
- To maintain and enhance public trust in the profession of early childhood education.
- To promote self-confidence and competence of members.
- To establish consistent approaches to providing evidence of member engagement in continuous professional learning.
- To demonstrate that registered early childhood educators are committed to upholding ethical and practice standards throughout their careers.
The continuous professional learning program would be mandatory for all members of the College and would include the following components among other things:
- Self-attestation by sign off upon renewal of membership commencing at the end of year one and annually thereafter would be the routine method of compliance;
- Completion of a self-assessment and the creation and implementation of a self-directed learning plan identifying activities to be undertaken would be mandatory;
- Undertaking activities to implement the learning plan and maintenance of a portfolio documenting such activities would be mandatory;
- The completion of mandatory learning modules would be required from time to time;
- A compliance monitoring regime;
- The penalty to be imposed for non-compliance;
- Exemptions from the requirement of mandatory participation.
July 26, 2013
Comments Due Date:
September 9, 2013
Ministry of Education, Early Learning Division, Mowat Block, 24th floor, 900 Bay St. Queen's Park, Toronto ON M7A 1L2