Amendment to Regulation 50/16 under the Healthy Menu Choices Act, 2015
O. Reg. 50/16
Regulation - LGIC
Bill or Act:
Healthy Menu Choices Act, 2015
Summary of Decision:
Made: September 14, 2016
Filed: September 26, 2016
Published on e-Laws: September 26, 2016
Printed in The Ontario Gazette: October 15, 2016
Analysis of Regulatory Impact:
No new administrative cost for business.
July 21, 2016
Summary of Proposal:
The Healthy Menu Choices Act ("the Act"), which received Royal Assent on May 28, 2015 and comes into force on January 1, 2017, requires food service premises with 20 or more locations in Ontario, who are selling standard food items to post calories on menus, labels and display tags. On March 4, 2016, O. Reg 50/16 ("menu labelling regulation") under the Healthy Menu Choices Act was filed to support the implementation of the menu labelling legislation. Both the Act and the menu labelling regulation come into force on January 1, 2017; with the exception of the updated contextual statement that would come into force on January 1, 2018 (see below).
The Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care has proposed amendments to the menu labelling regulation to clarify and provide guidance on specific sections of the regulation. The proposed amendments would:
1. Add a definition of "grocery store";
2. Clarify that specific forms of advertisements are not menus.
3. Clarify which additional standard food items would be exempt;
4. Exempt standard food items in vending machines;
5. Clarify calorie posting requirements for standard food items that are
displayed in bulk form.
6. Update the requirements for the contextual statement content, which would
come into effect on January 1, 2018, to include a mandatory child
"Approximate daily calorie needs are as follows, however individual calorie
needs may vary:
• Adults: 2000-2400 cals
• Children aged 2-9: 1100-1500 cals
• Children aged 10-17: 1500-2450 cals"
7. Make a technical change to the regulation to correct a cross-reference.
777 Bay Street, Suite 1903, Toronto ON, M7A 1S5
January 1, 2017