College of Massage Therapists of Ontario
Ontario Regulation 544/94
Bill or Act:
Massage Therapy Act, 1991
Summary of Proposal:
In Ontario, the regulation of health professions is based on a self-governance model. There are 26 health regulatory colleges governing 28 health professions under the Regulated Health Professions Act, 1991 (RHPA) and their respective health profession Acts. Health regulatory colleges operate at arm's length from the provincial government and independently administer their own internal processes.
Under the RHPA and the Massage Therapy Act, 1991, the College of Massage Therapists of Ontario (CMTO) is responsible for governing the profession of massage therapists in Ontario. Under these Acts, the CMTO has the authority to make regulations on a variety of subject matters, including quality assurance programs. All of the CMTO's regulations are subject to prior review by the Minister of Health and Long-Term Care and the approval of the Lieutenant Governor in Council.
Summary of Proposal
The proposed regulatory amendments were originally circulated to members and stakeholders for feedback on February 23, 2017.
Some of the amendments to the Quality Assurance Program (QAP) regulation include the following:
• Mandatory requirement that all registrants, both inactive and those holding a General Certificate, participate in the QAP;
• Inclusion of streamlined language to provide clarity, consistency, compliance with and easy reference to the Regulated Health Professions Act, 1991 and the Health Professions Procedural Code;
• Allows the CMTO to develop a method to verify the participation of members in the QAP to allow for greater flexibility in the assessment process;
• Sets out the process and requirements for self-assessment, continuing education or professional development activities; and,
• Clarifies the CMTO's obligation to select members annually and expands the criteria for requiring members to undergo peer and practice assessments.
To view and respond to the proposed amendments, please use the following link to the CMTO's website: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/MF68TQV
For further information, please contact the CMTO directly using the information below:
March 8, 2017
Comments Due Date:
April 24, 2017
Contact: Marnie Lofsky, Director, Professional Practice
Telephone: (416) 489-2626 Extension 115
Telephone Toll-Free in Ontario: 1-800-465-1933 Extension 115
Facsimile: (416) 489-2625
Address: College of Massage Therapists of Ontario, 1867 Yonge Street, Suite 906, Toronto, ON M4S 1Y5