Reg. 194 under the Courts of Justice Act (Rules of Civil Procedure)
Regulation - Minister
Bill or Act:
Courts of Justice Act
Summary of Decision:
This regulation was approved on December 20, 2018, and filed on December 21, 2018.
• This regulation amending Reg. 194 under the Courts of Justice Act (Rules of Civil Procedure) is available online at: https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/r18536
• The amended and new forms are available online at:
Summary of Proposal:
MAG has amended Regulation 194 (Rules of Civil Procedure) and associated forms.
1. authorize a court registrar to automatically dismiss Divisional Court cases (appeals and applications for judicial review) that are not set down for a hearing or terminated by any means within 5 years. Rule 61 and rule 68 are amended and form amendments made to support the rule changes (61A and 68A are amended Form 61A.1, 61I.1 and 68D are created);
2. require a hearing in writing for Divisional Court motions for leave to appeal from final cost orders made by a judge in the Superior Court of Justice by amending rule 62.02;
3. change 7 estate court application forms to clarify the instructions on how to disclose the value of an estate. The revised forms are 74.4, 74.4.1, 74.5, 74.5.1, 74.14, 74.15 and 74.30;
4. simplify 2 estate court application forms by clarifying the questions about the deceased's marital status and reduce the number of questions. The revised forms are 74.14 and 74.15; and
5. change Form 14F, Information for Court Use, to list as a case type the new tort of human trafficking.
Ministry of the Attorney General
Corporate Policy Unit
720 Bay Street, 7th Floor
Toronto, ON M7A 2S9
January 1, 2019