Reg. 194 under the Courts of Justice Act (Rules of Civil Procedure)
Regulation - Minister
Bill or Act:
Courts of Justice Act
Summary of Decision:
• This regulation was approved on December 20, 2018, and filed on December 21, 2018.
• This regulation amending Reg. 194 under the Courts of Justice Act (Rules of Civil Procedure) is available online at: https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/R18537
• The amended and new forms are available online at:
Summary of Proposal:
MAG has amended Regulation 194 (Rules of Civil Procedure) and associated forms.
The proposed changes:
1. allow a proceeding to be commenced by application where it is unlikely that there will be any material facts in dispute requiring a trial;
2. establish deadlines for the service of supplementary expert reports;
3. allow a respondent to confirm a motion date in order to seek costs of an abandoned motion;
4. clarify the requirements for the evidence filed on a motion for removal of a lawyer of record;
5. allow a court to impose a discovery plan on a motion related to discovery;
6. remove the requirement to publish notice of a Practice Direction in the Ontario Reports; and
7. replace references to the "Construction Lien Act" with the "Construction Act".
Ministry of the Attorney General
Corporate Policy Unit
720 Bay Street, 7th Floor
Toronto, ON M7A 2S9
January 1, 2019