Proposed amendments to Regulation 552 (General) under the Health Insurance Act, the Schedule of Benefits for Laboratory Services (SOB-LS) under Regulation 552 and Regulation 682 (Laboratories) under the Laboratory and Specimen Collection Centre Licensing Act.
Regulation - LGIC
Bill or Act:
Health Insurance Act (HIA); Laboratory and Specimen Collection Centre Licensing Act (LSCCLA)
Summary of Decision:
Made: June 11, 2020
Filed: June 12, 2020
Published on e-Laws: June 12, 2020
Printed in The Ontario Gazette: June 27, 2020
Analysis of Regulatory Impact:
The ministry anticipates no new administrative costs or burdens if the proposed amendments to support Permanent Hearing Loss Risk in the NSO program are approved by government.
June 7, 2019
Summary of Proposal:
The ministry is enhancing newborn screening by proposing to include Permanent Hearing Loss Risk as a new newborn screen for hearing loss in the NSO program. The NSO program is administered by the Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario.
The addition of the new screening test would allow for earlier detection, enabling timely intervention and treatment for improved health outcomes.
To support implementation of the Permanent Hearing Loss Risk test, the ministry is proposing amendments to Regulation 552 under the HIA and Regulation 682 under the LSCCLA. The proposed amendments are as follows:
An amendment to Regulation 552 (General):
- Under the section titled "DEFINITIONS", update the date reference for the word "schedule of laboratory benefits".
The proposed amendments to the SOB-LS under Regulation 552 include:
- Adding Permanent Hearing Loss Risk to L022 as a newborn screening test.
- Other non-technical changes such as the date on the title page and footer of the document called "Schedule of Benefits for Laboratory Services".
The proposed amendments to Regulation 682 include:
- Amending paragraph 6 of section 4(1) to include Permanent Hearing Loss Risk as a newborn screening test.
- Amending "Appendix B Tests that a Midwife may request" by adding the words Permanent Hearing Loss Risk to item # 8.
1075 Bay Street, 9th floor,
Toronto ON M7A 0A5
July 1, 2020