Royal College of Dental Surgeons of Ontario
Bill or Act:
Dentistry Act, 1991
Summary of Decision:
The above mentioned regulation was filed with the Registrar of Regulations on May 4, 2012 as O. Reg. 75/12, and was published in the Ontario Gazette on May 19, 2012.
August 4, 2010
Summary of Proposal:
Under the Regulated Health Professions Act, 1991 (RHPA) and the Dentistry Act, 1991, the Royal College of Dental Surgeons of Ontario (RCDSO) is responsible for governing the self-regulating profession of dentistry in Ontario.
Under these Acts, the RCDSO may, subject to the prior review by the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care and the approval of the Lieutenant Governor in Council, make regulations on a variety of subject matters, including registration.
Summary of Proposal
The Royal College of Dental Surgeons of Ontario (RCDSO) is proposing amendments to its registration regulation to, among other things, make its registration requirements consistent with the Ontario Labour Mobility amendments to the Regulated Health Professions Act, 1991. The most significant amendments include changes to the requirements for both the General and Specialty Certificates of Registration and are summarized below:
- introduce new labour mobility provisions that would bring registration requirements into compliance with the labour mobility provisions of the Code, as amended by the Ontario Labour Mobility Act, 2009 (OLMA);
- revoke an unnecessary provision relating to examination requirements under the General Certificate of Registration;
- standardize the education requirements of the Specialty Certificate of Registration to ensure that they are applied consistently in respect of all graduates of unaccredited programs;
- introduce provisions that allow former members who held a General or Specialty Certificate of Registration to be exempted from entry-to-practise requirements related to education and examination, if re-applying for these same certificates;
- eliminate certain requirements under the Post-Specialty Training and Graduate Student Certificates of Registration to reduce unnecessary delays to registration;
- expand reporting requirements for members of all classes; and
- make miscellaneous and housekeeping amendments.
Contact: Irwin Fefergrad, Registrar
Address: 6 Crescent Road, Toronto ON M4W 1T1
Royal Assent Date:
May 4, 2012