Amendments to Regulations under the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act, 1997 to establish new open seasons for spring and fall hunting of wild turkeys in specific Wildlife Management Units
Ontario Regulation 670/98
Regulation - Minister
Bill or Act:
Fish & Wildlife Conservation Act
Summary of Decision:
A decision was made to proceed with the proposals as described below. These changes were implemented by amendments to O. Reg. 670/98 (Open Seasons - Wildlife) as follows:
1. Open seasons for spring wild turkey hunting in Wildlife Management Units 42, 47, 49 and 50 were created by O. Reg. 83/14 filed with the Registrar of Regulations on March 27, 2014 and published in the Ontario Gazette on April 12, 2014.
2. An open season for fall wild turkey hunting in Wildlife Management Unit 59 was created by O. Reg. 83/14 filed with the Registrar of Regulations on March 27, 2014 and published in the Ontario Gazette on April 12, 2014.
February 5, 2014
Summary of Proposal:
Hunting for wild turkeys in Ontario was initiated in two Wildlife Management Units (WMUs) in 1987. Since then, the hunts have expanded to include new WMUs as turkey populations have increased their range and numbers.
The Wild Turkey Management Plan for Ontario (2007) takes an ecological and landscape-based approach to wild turkey management with population management goals based on the broader landscape in which turkeys are found.
Based on turkey population indices consistent with the 2008 Turkey Management Plan, several additional WMUs meet the criteria for opening of spring and fall turkey seasons.
The WMUs proposed to have new turkey seasons beginning in 2014 are as follows:
1) Creating additional spring wild turkey hunting seasons by adding the following WMUs to the spring wild turkey hunting season provided for in Table 7 of O. Reg. 670/98 (Open Seasons ? Wildlife):
- WMU 42 in Sudbury District,
- WMU 47 in North Bay and Parry Sound Districts,
- WMU 49 in Parry Sound District, and
- WMU 50 in Parry Sound District
2) Creating an additional fall wild turkey hunting season by adding the following WMU to the fall wild turkey hunting season provided for in Table 7 of O. Reg. 670/98 (Open Seasons - Wildlife):
- WMU 59 in Pembroke District
March 27, 2014