Exemption of the divestment or winding up of the Ontario Northland Transportation Commission and its subsidiaries, and the dissolution of the subsidiaries from the application of the Environmental Assessment Act
Regulation - LGIC
Bill or Act:
Environmental Assessment Act
Summary of Decision:
A decision has been made by the Lieutenant Governor In Council to exempt the enterprises and activities related to the divestment and winding up of the Ontario Northland Transportation Commission and its subsidiaries from the requirements of the Environmental Assessment Act.
Summary of Proposal:
On March 23, 2012, the province announced the divestment of the Ontario Northland Transportation Commission. It was also included in the 2012 Ontario Budget statements.
Generally, the divestment activities will involve:
- cancellation of the Northlander passenger rail service serving communities from Cochrane to Toronto (these communities are already served by motor coach operations);
- sale of the telecommunications services and assets;
- sale of the ONRail - freight rail business;
- continuation of the Polar Bear Express passenger rail service between Cochrane and Moosonee through a new operator and with a government subsidy;
- transfer of the Moosonee ferry service to the Owen Sound Transportation Commission (currently operates the services);
- sale of the rail car refurbishment services and assets;
- sale of the bus services and assets; and
- sale of remaining assets.
The Ontario Northland Transportation Commission is listed as a Public Body in Reg. 334 (General) under the Environmental Assessment Act. As a public body, Ontario Northland Transportation Commission?s undertakings are subject to the requirements of the Environmental Assessment Act. The divestment of the Ontario Northland Transportation Commission is considered an undertaking as defined in the Environmental Assessment Act.
Those activities that are not already exempt or subject to a Class Environmental Assessment would require an Environmental Assessment Act approval.
The exempting regulation provides clarity and certainty to the public and stakeholders regarding any EAA requirements that may have applied to the divestment activities.
Special Project Officer
Ministry of the Environment
Environmental Approvals Branch
2 St. Clair Avenue West
Phone: (416) 314-7222
Toll Free Phone: (800) 461-6290
August 16, 2012