Discussion Paper on Reducing Litter and Waste in Our Communities
Bill or Act:
Summary of Proposal:
We are seeking public feedback on the Reducing Litter and Waste in Our Communities: Discussion Paper, which expands upon commitments in Preserving and Protecting our Environment for Future Generations: A Made-in-Ontario Environment Plan. The paper poses questions that will help guide future decision-making to divert more waste from landfill.
The discussion paper sets out goals, actions and performance measures and outlines how we will:
• Decrease the amount of waste going to landfill
• Increase the province's overall diversion rate
The discussion paper provides more details on the actions and commitments related to waste that were outlined in the Made-in-Ontario Environment Plan. The feedback on the discussion paper will help the province to move forward with a clear, comprehensive and outcome-based approach to reducing litter and waste in our communities while keeping this province clean and beautiful for future generations.
Eight Areas for Action
The discussion paper outlines eight key areas for action:
1. Prevent and reduce litter in our neighbourhoods and parks
2. Increase opportunities for Ontarians to reduce and divert waste at home, at work and on the go
3. Make producers responsible for the waste generated from their products and packaging
4. Reduce and divert food and organic waste from households and businesses
5. Reduce plastic waste going into landfills and waterways
6. Provide clear rules for compostable products and packaging
7. Recover the value of resources in waste
8. Support competitive and sustainable end-markets for Ontario's waste.
These eight areas of action are the steps we will take to make waste reduction, reuse, and recycling easier for the people of Ontario, not only at home or at work, but throughout our communities.
March 6, 2019
Comments Due Date:
April 20, 2019