Renewable Energy Approval Technical Guidance Bulletins
Bill or Act:
Summary of Proposal:
The Green Energy and Green Economy Act, 2009, was passed in the Legislature on May 14, 2009. The Act places a priority on expanding Ontario’s use of clean and renewable sources of energy including wind, water, solar, biomass and biogas power. Developing these renewable resources is a cornerstone of this province’s future prosperity. As a key pillar in supporting the development of Ontario’s green economy, the Ontario government introduced O. Reg. 359/09 (Renewable Energy Approvals under Part V.0.1) made under the Environmental Protection Act, on September 24, 2009. This regulation offers an improved approach to regulating renewable energy generation facilities that is based on transparency and clear, up-front provincial rules, while ensuring that the environment and human health are protected.
To provide further clarity and transparency on the Renewable Energy Approval, the ministry has prepared six draft technical bulletins. These bulletins are intended to assist proponents of renewable energy projects in preparing reports for the Renewable Energy Approval submission and in interpreting the regulation. The draft technical bulletins will also assist the public, other interested persons, aboriginal communities, and other regulatory agencies in understanding the approval process and the roles they may have in the new Renewable Energy Approval process.
The proposed draft technical bulletins are presented for public comment. They are:
- Technical Bulletin #1 Guidance for preparing the Project Description Report as part of an application under O.Reg.359/09
- Technical Bulletin #2 Guidance for preparing the Design and Operations Report as part of an application under O.Reg.359/09
- Technical Bulletin #3 Guidance for preparing the Construction Plan Report as part of an application under O.Reg.359/09
- Technical Bulletin #4 Guidance for preparing the Decommissioning Plan Report as part of an application under O.Reg.359/09
- Technical Bulletin #5 Guidance for preparing the Consultation Report as part of an application under O.Reg.359/09
- Technical Bulletin #6 Required Setbacks for Wind Turbines under O.Reg.359/09
March 1, 2010
Comments Due Date:
May 30, 2010