College of Occupational Therapists of Ontario
O. Reg 226/96 (General) Part VII (Registration)
Regulation - LGIC
Bill or Act:
Occupational Therapy Act, 1991
Summary of Decision:
The above mentioned regulation was filed with the Registrar of Regulations on February 17, 2012 as O. Reg.19/12, and will be published in the Ontario Gazette on March 3, 2012.
April 20, 2010
Summary of Proposal:
Under the Regulated Health Professions Act, 1991 (RHPA) and the Occupational Therapy Act, 1991, the College of Occupational Therapists of Ontario (COTO) is responsible for governing the self regulating profession of occupational therapy in Ontario.
Under these Acts, the COTO may make regulations on a variety of subject matters, including registration, subject to the prior review by the Minister of Health and Long-Term Care and the approval of the Lieutenant Governor in Council.
Summary of Proposal
The College of Occupational Therapists of Ontario (COTO) is requesting amendments to O. Reg. 226/96 (General) Part VIII (Registration) under the Occupational Therapy Act, 1991
The Amendments can be broken down into seven main areas:
1. Introduce new labour mobility provisions that would bring registration requirements into compliance with the labour mobility provisions of the Code, as amended by the Ontario Labour Mobility Act, 2009 (OLMA);
2. Amend the provisions related to academic degree requirements;
3. Update the currency hour requirements;
4. Require members to provide information related to their past and present conduct, as well as accurate personal information as outlined in the college's by-laws;
5. Make it a condition on every class of certificate of registration that members have professional liability insurance or protection against professional liability;
6. Introduce new conditions for the temporary certificate of registration; and
7. Make housekeeping amendments.
Contact: Elinor Larney, Deputy Registrar
Phone: 416-214-1177 Ext. 233
Address: 20 Bay Street, Suite 900, PO Box 78 Toronto, ON M5J 2N8
February 17, 2012