Technical bulletin - Flooding Hazards: data survey and mapping specifications
Bill or Act:
Summary of Decision:
A decision was made to post finalized data survey and mapping technical guidance to support flood hazard identification and mapping by municipalities and conservation authorities in Ontario.
Analysis of Regulatory Impact:
• The anticipated environmental and social consequences of this proposal are neutral.
• The guidelines are not expected to increase the costs of mapping work for municipalities, conservation authorities or consultants and are in line with existing best practices currently being used by practitioners.
• These guidelines are meant to assist municipalities, conservation authorities, consultants and other service providers in undertaking flood hazard surveying and mapping projects in Ontario and do not impose any mandatory requirements and are not meant to replace professional judgement in determining the most appropriate procedures to be followed when undertaking a flood hazard mapping initiative.
• The guidelines were developed by the province with input and feedback from flood mapping practitioners, including staff from provincial and federal government agencies, municipalities, and conservation authorities.
• The anticipated economic implications of this proposal are positive for municipalities, conservation authorities and consultants engaged in flood mapping projects as they will help provide clarity and consistency in the development of flood mapping and reduce timelines and costs associated with completing flood mapping initiatives.
• There are no annual administrative costs to businesses anticipated from these proposed changes.
July 4, 2023
Summary of Proposal:
Please read this proposal notice in its entirety through the Environmental Registry of Ontario.
December 4, 2023