Water Conservation Charges Proposal
Regulation - LGIC
Bill or Act:
Ontario Water Resources Act
Summary of Decision:
Ontario Regulation 450/07 was filed with the Registrar of Regulations on August 10, 2007 and takes effect on the day it is filed.
Ontario Regulation 451/07 was filed with the Registrar of Regulations on August 10, 2007 and takes effect on filing.
After careful consideration of comments received from the public, the regulated community and concerned stakeholders, the Ministry of the Environment has developed final regulations for implementing a regulatory charge for commercial and industrial water users.
This notice contains:
Regulations that apply to a defined class of persons specified in those regulations:
- Ontario Regulation for Charges for I ndustrial and Commercial Water Users made under the Ontario Water Resources Act
- Amendments to O. Reg. 387/04 (Water Taking and Transfer) made under the Ontario Water Resources Act
April 12, 2007
Summary of Proposal:
The purpose of this posting is to provide the public with the details of a proposed water conservation charge framework. Using the proposed authority for water conservation charges in Bill 198, the Safeguarding and Sustaining Ontario's Water Act, the Province would charge commercial and industrial uses, except hydro power and agricultural uses, to recover some of the costs of managing water resources in Ontario. The proposed charge would be phased in, starting with highly consumptive users. Other industrial and commercial users would be charged later. The proposed authority would allow the Province to charge only in respect of water used for commercial and industrial purposes. The proposed charge is expected to have a limited fiscal impact on affected companies.
The Water Conservation Charges Proposal lays out the details of the proposed charge including:
- the key assumptions underlying the proposed framework;
- the sectors that would be charged and those exempted;
- proposed charge rates for sectors included in the first phase of implementation; and
- how the charge would be implemented.
Feedback from consultation on the detailed framework will be considered in determining the final charge design.
August 10, 2007