Amend Part 7 of O. Reg. 663/98 (Areas South of the French and Mattawa Rivers where Sunday Gun Hunting is Permitted) under the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act
Regulation - Minister
Bill or Act:
Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act
Summary of Decision:
The purpose of this posting is to provide general notice to the public that the list of where Sunday gun hunting is permitted in southern Ontario has been amended by Ontario Regulation 39/12 to add three municipalities at their request. This change took effect on April 1, 2012.
Summary of Proposal:
Prior to 2006, most of the Sunday hunting regulations were implemented in the 1950s. Gun and archery hunting on Sundays were allowed in northern Ontario, archery hunting on Sundays in southern Ontario and gun hunting on Sundays in 25 municipalities in the southern part of the province. Those municipalities specifically requested that Sunday gun hunting be allowed in their areas.
Overall wildlife populations in Ontario are healthy and some are increasing. While this is generally good news, there are some local instances where the public has expressed concern about impacts on agriculture, human safety and the environment. The agricultural community, including farmers and other landowners, have proposed that allowing Sunday gun hunting would be a beneficial and cost-effective means of helping address their concerns.
The environmentally significant aspects of this regulation were already considered during consultation with municipalities and the public on a proposal to expand where Sunday gun hunting could occur during the spring through fall of 2005. During this period, over 230 municipalities in southern Ontario were asked to advise of their interest in permitting Sunday gun hunting within their areas and were told that Sunday gun hunting would not be allowed in their area unless requested.
As a result, a notice of proposal was posted on the Environmental Registry (Registry Number RB05E6807) from October 20 to November 21, 2005 proposing to add 67 municipalities and 14 geographic townships to the existing 25 municipalities where Sunday gun hunting could occur.
There have been 11 previous amending regulations:
- O. Reg. 24/06 filed with the registrar of Regulations on February 6, 2006. These changes took effect on September 1, 2006, enacted the proposal above adding the 67 additional municipalities and 14 geographic townships a new schedule in O. Reg. 663/98 of where Sunday gun hunting is permitted.
- O. Reg. 393/06 which came into effect on August 18, 2006 (Registry Number RB06E6009) added 20 additional municipalities and all or part of 4 geographic townships to the list of where Sunday gun hunting is permitted and removed two municipalities from the list.
- O. Reg. 80/07 filed with the registrar of Regulations on March 6, 2007. These changes took effect on March 30, 2007, added 20 additional municipalities to the list of where Sunday gun hunting is permitted.
- O. Reg. 357/07 which came into effect September 1, 2007, added 13 municipalities to the list.
- O. Reg.280 /08 which came into effect September 1, 2008 added 12 municipalities to the list.
- O. Reg.72/09 which came into effect April 1, 2009 added 2 municipalities to the list.
- O. Reg.282 /09 which came into effect September 1, 2009 added 3 municipalities to the list.
- O. Reg.124 /10 which came into effect April 1, 2010 added 3 municipalities to the list.
- O. Reg. 329/10 which came into effect September 1, 2010 added 5 municipalities to the list.
- O. Reg. 63/11 which came into effect April 1, 2011 added 1 municipality to the list.
- O. Reg. 401/11 which came into effect September 1, 2011 added 4 municipalities to the list.
Sunday gun hunting is subject to all restrictions associated with public safety and conservation, including the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act. Where Sunday gun hunting is allowed, it is subject to no-discharge bylaws that municipalities have enacted under the Municipal Act.
300 Water Street
April 1, 2012