Farm Business Registration Membership Fee Increase
O. Reg. 723/93
Bill or Act:
Farm Registration and Farm Organizations Funding Act
Summary of Proposal:
The Farm Registration and Farm Organizations Funding Act, 1993 was enacted to provide accredited farm organizations with a stable source of operating funding. Under the Act, the Lieutenant Governor in Council (LGIC) prescribes the amount of payment to accredited farm organizations through regulation.
The OFA, the CFFO and the National Farmers Union – Ontario (NFU-O) are currently the three accredited farm organizations in the province. For the 2008 program year, 47,041 farm businesses have registered. Of the total, 40,024 directed their payment to the OFA (~85 per cent), 4,826 to the CFFO (~10 per cent) and 2,191 to the NFU-O (~5 per cent).
Under General, O. Reg. 723/93 all farm businesses with an annual gross farm income of $7,000 or more are required to register with the Farm Business Registration program and to pay a fee of $150, made out to an accredited farm organization of their choice. The fee goes towards offsetting the costs incurred by the accredited farm organization in carrying out various functions and obligations in the interests of the organization membership, including:
– representing the interests of persons carrying on farming businesses,
– providing education or training in respect of agricultural matters,
– providing advice and analysis to governments, administrative tribunals or advisory bodies concerning agricultural issues,
– developing programs or policies that are of interest to persons carrying on farming businesses and
– providing special funding to the L’Union des cultivateurs franco-ontariens (UCFO) to assist in the UCFO’s operational funding for the benefit of francophone farmers in Ontario.
Farm businesses have the option of obtaining a full refund within a specified time period after registering by writing to the accredited farm organization selected during the registration process. No rationale or justification is required to get a refund.
Additionally, two accreditation requirements that currently refer to $150 are proposed to be amended to refer to $195.
October 19, 2009
Comments Due Date:
November 2, 2009
Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs
1 Stone Road, West, 2nd Floor
Fax : 519-826-3170