Minister's Regulation on Quality Assurance Measures
O. Reg. 299/10
Bill or Act:
Services and Supports to Promote the Social Inclusion of Persons with Developmental Disabilities Act, 2008
Summary of Decision:
The regulation on quality assurance measures sets out the ministry’s expectations for service agencies that support adults with a developmental disability and for application entities.
The regulation was approved on July 7, 2010; the effective date for service agencies is January 1, 2011 and the effective date for application entities is July 1, 2011.
December 18, 2009
Summary of Proposal:
The Ministry of Community and Social Services seeks comments on a draft Minister's regulation under the Services and Supports to Promote the Social Inclusion of Persons with Developmental Disabilities Act, 2008.
The new Act received Royal Assent on October 8, 2008 and will take effect when it is proclaimed in force by the Lieutenant Governor. The new Act contains provisions that will repeal the older Developmental Services Act.
This is the second regulation for this Act that the government is posting for public review.
Quality assurance measures would cover many different areas related to how a service agency provides services and supports and how an application entity performs its functions:
• Promoting social inclusion, individual choice and independence for people with a developmental disability;
• Developing individual support plans [for service agencies only];
• Promoting health and well-being and supporting people when they receive medical services [for service agencies only];
• Management of, and assistance with, day to day finances [service agencies only];
• Helping people with a developmental disability be informed about abuse and having policies and procedures in place to address situations where abuse has happened;
• Confidentiality and privacy of information;
• Safety at the agency or entity;
• Human resource practices for staff who work at the agency or entity;
• Record keeping;
• Behaviour intervention strategies to help support people who have a developmental disability and challenging behaviour [for service agencies only]; and
• Specific requirements for agencies when they operate supported group living residences and intensive support residences, [for service agencies only].
Ministry of Community and Social Services
Community and Developmental Services Branch
80 Grosvenor Street
4th Floor – Hepburn Block
Toronto ON M7A 1E9
January 1, 2011