Regulation 194 under the Courts of Justice Act (Rules of Civil Procedure)
Bill or Act:
Courts of Justice Act
Summary of Decision:
This regulation was approved on December 20, 2017, and filed on December 22, 2017.
• This regulation amending Reg. 194 under the Courts of Justice Act (Rules of Civil Procedure) is available online at: https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/r17584
• Updated Form 74.10 is available online at:
Summary of Proposal:
MAG has amended Regulation 194 (Rules of Civil Procedure) and associated forms.
The amendments will:
1. Authorize the use of the Ministry's Civil Claims Online Portal to electronically file statements of defence, notices of intent to defend, proof of service of electronically filed documents, statements of claim where a notice of action was issued and consents and court orders that are required to be filed with an electronic document.
2. Identify the name of the Civil Claims Online Portal to assist with locating the portal
3. Simplify the civil court rules relating to electronic filing and issuance of documents through the Civil Claims Online Portal by consolidating and centralizing the rules.
4. Clarify the processes relating to the electronic filing and issuance of documents through the Civil Claims Online Portal.
5. Clarify the material required to be filed in support of an Application of Certificate of Appointment of Estate Trustee pursuant to rule 74.04(1). The revised rule will clarify that only one affidavit is required to be filed as evidence to support the application. A minor form amendment to Form 74.10 is proposed to implement the rule amendment.
Ministry of the Attorney General
Corporate Policy Unit
720 Bay Street, 7th Floor
Toronto, ON M7A 2S9
January 1, 2018