Reg. 194 under the Courts of Justice Act (Rules of Civil Procedure)
Regulation - Minister
Bill or Act:
Courts of Justice Act
Summary of Decision:
This regulation was approved on May 12, 2021, and filed on May 17, 2021.
Analysis of Regulatory Impact:
There are no new administrative costs to business anticipated in relation to this proposal.
Summary of Proposal:
The regulation amends the Rules of Civil Procedure to:
• eliminate the 60-day delay between a party setting down a defended action for trial and the action being placed on the trial list and make consequential amendments to this rule change; and
• revoke two obsolete provisions regarding the time for trial listing for matters outside Toronto, to reflect existing practice across the province.
The regulation amends 3 rules. The rule amendments include the following:
• removes the distinction between undefended and defended actions in the procedure for trial listing, by revoking r. 48.05(1) and r. 48.06(1) and introducing a new r. 48.05 requiring the registrar to list any action for trial once it is set down for trial;
• removes references to special timing requirements for trial listing outside Toronto by revoking r. 48.05(2) and r. 48.06(2); and
• removes the reference to consent to trial listing in r. 48.04(1), as a consequence of revoking r. 48.06(1).
Ministry of the Attorney General
Corporate Policy Unit
720 Bay Street, 7th Floor
Toronto, ON M7A 2S9
July 1, 2021